Lead FX Artist
Ready At Dawn is looking for talented and passionate developers to help us push the boundaries of gameplay, art and story-telling. We are currently developing high profile original titles for both the VR and AAA console spaces. As a member of the FX team you will have the opportunity to work on all of Ready At Dawn’s active projects.
Successful candidates have an excellent mix of aesthetic, technical, and communication skills and are able to quickly understand custom toolsets and deliver assets within the confines of real-time engine constraints. Experience with scripting and gameplay systems are a major plus. The Lead FX Artist possesses the ability to work both independently and in cooperation with the Art Director, Animators, Cinematic Artists, and Designers in the pursuit of their craft. This role is part R&D artist, part aesthetic guide, part problem solver, and helps to propose creative solutions to challenging visual problems, as well as working to support and empower the entire art team in making gameplay experiences that are fun, intuitive, and visually stunning. The Lead FX Artist will be expected to develop visually stunning in-game FX elements for game environments, characters and cinematics as well as contribute to the development and enhancement of particle effect systems, tools, and pipelines.
In this leadership role we are also looking for a strong ability to serve as an advocate for the FX team, to help nurture and guide other artists, through both mentorship and critique, as well as serve as a passionate collaborative partner alongside the design and gameplay teams to prototype unique and engaging gameplay experiences.
- Fluent knowledge of at least one major 3D package (Maya, Max, Houdini, etc.)
- Experience working with real-time particle and VFX editors in a game engine (Unreal, Unity, or similar proprietary)
- Efficient organization and communication skills and ability to prioritize and execute ideas within a schedule
- Responsible for fx look development tests in pre-production
- Responsible for final finishing on in-game and cinematic fx in full production
- Excellent technical and artistic problem solving skills
- Provide guidance and mentorship to other artists on the team
- Collaborate with tools and engine teams to continually improve upon our custom workflows and technology
- Passion for Video Games
- An excitement for learning and evolving ones craft
- At least 5 years of applicable industry experience
- Portfolio of effects made in real-time engines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Additional Skills (Pluses):
- Programming experience
- Scripting and/or visual scripting experience (Unreal’s Blueprints, etc.)
- Strong texturing and material skills
- Fluid simulation experience with Maya, Houdini or equivalent
- Any other game related art or design experience (animation, modeling, etc.)
Submitted demo reels must include samples of previous work and an exact breakdown of your specific contribution to the material submitted along with resume featuring references.
Please send samples of your work with your application.
APPLYTo apply please email [email protected]
Please include the following:
- The job you are applying for in the subject line
- Resume / CV
- Portfolio / Website / Demo Reel
- Please include an exact breakdown of your specific contribution to the material submitted